Colleen Kennedy, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Dr. Colleen Kennedy is a board certified general surgeon whose fellowship in the field of minimally invasive weight loss (bariatric) surgery spans more than 15 years. She is the surgical director of our program and has been a part of our program family since 2012.
Dr. Kennedy performs gastric bypass, gastric sleeve (sleeve gastrectomy), gastric Ballooning, gastric band and revisional weight loss surgery procedures. Her skill and expertise has been instrumental in maintaining our hospital’s MBSAQIP (Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program) designation.
Dr. Kennedy is a published author whose papers and lectures have been disseminated across the world. You can view her bibliography here.
- Undergraduate: University of Connecticut, graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Medical School: Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia
- Residency & Internship: Medical College of Virginia Hospitals
- Fellowship: Minimal Invasive and Bariatric Surgery at Cleveland Clinic Florida
Memberships and Designations
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons
- Fellow of American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- American Medical Association
- The Wound Healing Society
- The European Tissue Repair Society
- The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Association of Women Surgeons
Dr. Kennedy is also a member of the editorial board of the Bariatric Times.
A native Texan, Dr. Kennedy currently resides in Lakewood and has two children. She has traveled extensively through her military service as a Major in the United States Air Force from 1999-2004, as well as for her medical training.